Tuesday, December 27, 2011

GRITS AND GREENS

Dear Abby,

One of the things you and I have in common is we both like grits and greens. You have spent many nights with me and had grits for breakfast. You have endured listening to me sing the "grits" song many mornings. (It always brings smiles.) You have also listened to me talk about the health benefit of a lot of foods. Once in awhile I give you pop questions of why we eat this and not that!

You know the reason I am concerned about what we eat is because Papa has cancer. I have learned so much about food in the last nine years. One thing I am sure of is God designed wonderful foods that heal and strengthen us. He does care about what we eat. He has given you a healthy body. It is more amazing than you realize, and as time goes on, you will learn just how amazing it is.

Your responsibility is to be a good steward of what God has given you. Take care of it, don't abuse it with too much of a good thing-food. (Especially sugar.) Caring for your body is just as important as caring for your mind. You are very physically active now because you are involved in sports. As the years go on, remember to keep moving! Exercise was also designed by God to keep us healthy. I recently learned that" bouncing" builds up white blood cells, which you probably know, helps the body fight off infections. Imagine that! I remember when you were quite small that you'd hop up and down around the house. Even that is designed by God for health and wellness.

One day you will be caring for a family of your own. Perhaps this little "chat" will come to mind. Maybe you will be singing the "grits" song to your children and grandchildren one day! (Funny the things we pass down, huh?) May the Lord watch between you and me when we are absent one from the other. I love you very much.

Grammy

No comments:

Post a Comment