Monday, March 19, 2012

MEMORIZING SCRIPTURE

Dear Abby,

A few years ago I read a book about one of our senators that had been captured and tortured in Vietnam earlier in his life. He was a POW for a few years before being released. He loves his country and has served it well. One thing that stood out in my mind is, that while in isolation for many hours, he rehearsed in his mind old books that he had read and movies that he had seen earlier in life. He said this is what helped him to keep his sanity during his captivity.

I began to think about what I'd do if everything was taken from me. What would I rely on to get me through such a difficult ordeal? Abby, there is no doubt in my mind that the single most important thing to get me through would have to be the scripture that I have hidden in my heart. The reason I say that is because I have already learned the significance of God's Word in my life in some of the darkest times.

You have had the opportunity to learn scripture from early childhood. Do not take it for granted or become bored with it. There is great danger in that. I challenge you to sit with pen in hand and write down all the scripture you know. Practice falling asleep while quoting scripture or while getting ready for school in the mornings. Keep it fresh in your mind and meditate on it.

God's Word will give you wisdom and direction for life. Cherish it for the treasure that it is. I heard a missionary tell of handing out Bibles in Russia. People would stand in line for hours to get a Bible and then kiss it when they got it. Americans have no idea how blessed they are to have so many Bibles available to them.

Some of the chapters I have memorized are Psalm 1, Psalm 23, Psalm 100, Psalm 121(my favorite), I Cor.13, and I am now working on Hebrews 11. There are many single verses that come to mind throughout the day depending on what may be going on at that time.

May the Lord watch between you and me when we are absent one from the other. I love you very much.

Grammy

No comments:

Post a Comment