Friday, May 25, 2012

LIONS AND TIGERS AND BEARS, OH MY!

Dear Abby,

When I was growing up I thought my parents were not afraid of anything. Because of that, I never had a fear of storms or people or life in general. ( Except for those huge palmetto bugs, lizards, spiders and other critters the South is so infamous for!) I do remember when horror movies became popular and occasionally I was allowed to go see one with friends. (I have no idea what my parents were thinking.) That is when I would struggle with fearful thoughts. Even today I cannot allow myself to watch things that involve murders and frightful evil.

There are a lot of "what-ifs" in this life. Your mind must be protected as much as any other aspect of your being. It's not that we should bury our heads in the sand and ignore what is going on in the world, but we are instructed in PHILIPPIANS 4:8 to think about things that are" honest, just, pure, lovely, and of good report." The only way to do that is to guard our minds. Be careful about what you read, watch and who you listen to.

If you do become fearful of anything, ask God to help you to overcome it. You can quote scripture and pray for peace of mind. "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (II Timothy 1:7) Abby, a "sound mind" is what every Christian should have. Guard it and nurture it as you do your body. May the Lord watch between you and me when we are absent one from the other. Much love and prayers go out for you.

Grammy

No comments:

Post a Comment