Thursday, February 23, 2012

FAVORITE BOOKS

Dear Abby,

One of the things that has greatly influenced my life is reading. You may have discovered by now that reading another's life story or reading about the history of our world can direct the path of one's life. Other than the Bible, I enjoy books that help me in my Christian walk, biographies of famous people, books about our country, some of the great literary works and some for sheer pleasure like children's poems and the one I recently shared with you, "Papa's Wife."

There is nothing like holding a good book in your hand and turning the pages with great anticipation. I have Kindle on my ipad but it just doesn't hold the thrill for me that a regular book does. Here is a list of some books in my library that you might enjoy. They are not listed in any particular order. They are:

Books by Bess Streeter Aldrich such as:

A Lantern In Her Hand
Song of Years
White Bird Flying
Spring Came On Forever

Jane Eyre
Little Women
Uncle Toms Cabin
The Diary of Anne Frank
The Hiding Place

Biographical novels by Irving Stone:

Love is Eternal
The Presidents Lady
For Those Who Love

Books by Elisabeth Elliot:

The Shaping Of A Christian Family
Keep a Quiet Heart
Gateway To Joy
Gods Guidance
Passion and Purity
Quest For Love
The Path of Loneliness
Discipline, The Glad Surrender

The Pursuit Of God by A. W. Tozer probably impacted my spiritual walk more than any other book besides the Bible.
Spiritual Authority by Watchman Née
Rivers of Living Water by Ruth Paxson
Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard

Bible study books by Elizabeth George, Beth Moore and others.

Missionary Biographies about Isobel Kuhn, David Livingstone, Jim Elliot, William Carey, Gladys Alyward, Hudson Taylor and many others.

At this time I am reading "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn.

Abby, you are welcomed to my library anytime. I look forward to your excitement when you read some of these books. May the Lord watch between you and me when we are absent one from the other. I love you very much.

Grammy

1 comment:

  1. Hinds Feet in High Places is one of absolute favorites! I'm re-reading it now.

    ReplyDelete